WHO IS YASMINE BEVERLY RANA?
Yasmine Beverly Rana’s participation in recent and upcoming festivals include the 2019 International Human Rights Arts Festival at the Wild Project (Leena and Rose at the Barre), Hoboken’s Mile Square Theatre and Writer’s Theatre of New Jersey (After Rome) Luna Stage (At the Barre), and Tara Arts of London (Amanda). India’s National School of Drama in New Delhi produced three plays from Yasmine’s The War Zone is My Bed and Other Plays. The War Zone is My Bed was a Francesca Primus Prize finalist. Plays have been developed at theaters including The Looking Glass Theatre, Nora’s Playhouse (founding member), Los Angeles’ The Jewel Box Theater, La MaMa Experimental Theatre and Playwrights Theatre of New Jersey. Fellowships and grants include NJ Transit and NJ State Council on the Arts TRANSITional Art Project (2019), New Jersey State Council on the Arts Award in Playwriting (2015), and a Walter E. Dakin Fellowship in Playwriting. Publications include The Alabama Literary Review, Blackbird, The Contemporary European Idea, The Kenyon Review, TDR: The Drama Review, and anthologies including The Best Contemporary Monologues, The Best Stage Scenes, and The Best Men’s and Women’s Monologues (Smith and Kraus and Applause Books). The University of Chicago Press and Seagull Books “In Performance Series” published The War Zone is My Bed and Other Plays, an anthology of four of Yasmine’s plays. In addition to being a playwright, Yasmine is an educator (teacher of ESL, English, Social Studies and Theater), mentor to new playwrights (Northeastern University, Chicago) and drama therapist (Registered Drama Therapist and New York State Licensed Creative Arts Therapist). She has worked in Bosnia, The Republic of Georgia, and Switzerland. Yasmine received her BFA and MFA in Dramatic Writing from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts and her Master of Art in Teaching from Fairleigh Dickinson University. She is a member of the Dramatists Guild of America and represented by Susan Gurman in New York.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- NJ Transit and NJ State Council on the Arts TRANSITional Art Project 2019
- City Theatre National Award for Short Playwriting Finalist 2017
- New Jersey State Council on the Arts Fellowship in Playwriting 2015 (First Place, Perfect Score)
- American Theatre Critics Association Francesca Primus Prize Finalist for “The War Zone is My Bed” 2015
- Glamour Magazine and Tommy Hilfiger Outstanding Woman of New Jersey 2014
- La MaMa Theatre’s Ellen Stewart Award Finalist
- Walter E. Dakin Fellowship in Playwriting from the Sewanee Writers Conference
- Paulette Goddard Fellowship from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts Dramatic Writing Program
Gurman Agency, LLC
A theatrical literary agency
14 Penn Plaza, Suite 1703
NY, NY 10122-1701